Frequently Asked Questions

This section provides answers to payroll FAQs. If you do not see the answer to your question or if you need additional payroll information, CLICK HERE It will provide you with the names and phones numbers of the Office of Payroll's staff and their responsibilities. 

  1. I am a teacher and I see “CND” in the section where absences appear on my paycheck. It looks like I accrued CND time. What is CND?

    CND means “compensable non-duty week day.” It refers to the days during the winter and spring breaks when ten-month teachers, clerical employees, and paraeducators do not report to work but for which they are compensated. For example, during the winter break these employees are paid for the four (4) winter holidays, December 24, 25, 31, and January 1, when they fall on weekdays. However, there are other days during the winter break which are not holidays. These 10-month employees are paid for these days as well. Likewise, there are CND during the spring break and at the end of the school year. The 10-month payroll calendar includes duty days, holidays, and CND. CND is accrued each applicable pay period and then is ‘charged’ as a paid absence after the winter and spring breaks. 

  2. Employees who begin working after the first duty day for 10-month employees may not accrue enough CND time to cover all of the days off during the winter and spring breaks or at the end of the school year. As a result, they may be unpaid for part of all of the CND.

  3. How much sick and urgent personal business time do I accrue?

    Employees may be absent without loss of pay due to personal illness. Personal illness, or sick time, is advanced to eligible employees at the beginning of their work year. July 1 is the start of the work year for 12-month employees. For 10-month employees, the work year begins in late August. Employees may accrue an unlimited amount of sick time. Employees may also be absent without loss of pay to care for an ill member of the immediate family. Employees may use up to eight (8) days of their personal sick leave for “illness in the family.” Up to four (4) days a year (to a maximum of eight (8) days) are advanced from the employee’s sick leave for this purpose. For example, if a teacher is advanced ten (10) days of sick leave, up to four (4) days of this leave will be advanced for “illness in the family;” six (6) days will appear in sick leave and four (4) days will appear in family illness leave. But all ten (10) days are available to the employee for personal sick leave.

    Please note that each of the Master Agreements contains a comprehensive list of absences and leaves available to permanent employees.

    Employees may be absent without loss of pay to tend to urgent personal business which cannot be attended to on weekends or after duty hours. Unused urgent personal business time “rolls up” to sick leave at the end of the fiscal year. When an employee has a balance of urgent business leave as of June 30, that unused time will be put into the Rolled Leave category. For eligible employees, any unused excess vacation or a maximum of two floating holidays will go into rolled leave. Rolled leave will be used if an employee exhausts all of their sick leave. In addition, for those employees who are members of a sick bank, this rolled leave will also be used towards the annual donations towards the bank. This leave is used for substitution in those instances; it cannot be used by the employee.

  4. I am a teacher and my pay stub shows a sick leave balance of “300:30.” What does this mean?

    Teachers work a 6 hour 30 minute day. The “300:30” refers to 300 hours and 30 minutes. Since it is not possible to divide hours and minutes, the 300 hours and 30 minutes must be shown in decimals; that is, 300.5 (30 minutes = .5 of an hour). Then, to obtain the number of sick days available, divide the 300.5 by 6.5 (6 hours 30 minutes = 6.5 hours in decimals).

    300.5 ÷ 6.5 = 46.2 days

  5. I’m an administrator and I want to hire someone to monitor our hallways during the change of classes. How do I do this?

    Contact the Office of Temporary Services in the Department of Human Resources at 443-809-4181 for information about the hiring of miscellaneous/contractual and temporary employees.

  6. I am an administrator and my school obtained a grant to pay teachers to tutor our students on Saturdays. How much may I pay them?

    Regardless of the funding source, all permanent employees must be paid from the list of rates negotiated between the Board of Education and its employee bargaining units. There are no exceptions. The negotiated rates of pay are located on the salary scales. You may call the Office of Payroll at 443-809-4240 or the Office of Temporary Services at 443-809-4181 for more information.